Sacred Heart was founded in 1923 and named after the Most Holy Sacred Heart of Jesus.
At the time of its founding, the Sacred Heart community was predominantly composed of Irish-American immigrants, which has had a large influence on the school's image and mascot.
The Fleur-de-lis symbol, located on the right side of the central shield represents the purity and light of the goodness of God.
The eighth son heraldry cross symbol, located on the left side of the central shield, reminds us of Christ's suffering and endless love for us.
The laurel wreath symbol, located at the bottom of the central shield, represents knowledge and scholarship.
Finally, the oil lamp sitting on top of the crest symbolizes the light of God originating from 2 Corinthians 4:6 that states "For God, who said, 'Let there be light in the darkness,' has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ."
Together, these symbols come together to represent the sole purpose and mission of Sacred Heart High School.
Sacred Heart High School opened in 1923. In 1925, the Rev. Cyprian Abler, O.F.M. Cap, completed the high school by adding four rooms to the building that then served as a preparatory seminary for Capuchin Franciscans studying for the priesthood. Staffed by the Capuchins and the Sisters of St. Agnes, Sacred Heart received full State accreditation in 1926. Affiliation with the University of New York and accreditation by the Board of Regents were achieved on April 30, 1930.
Our school began to grow and in the late 40’s and early 50’s, accommodating just over 200 students. In 1954, the Archdiocese of New York granted Father Finian Sullivan permission to expand the facilities. Through his efforts, two wings were added to the school. Upon completion, there existed 16 additional classrooms, a cafeteria, and a library.
The DeLaSalle Brothers of the Christian Schools arrived at Sacred Heart in September, 1965. Their arrival coincided with Sacred Heart changing from a co-institutional to a co-educational school. By 1967, the circular building (known as the “A” Building) was completed for occupancy containing science laboratories with the latest in modern equipment, carpeted classrooms, and a 2,178 square foot gymnasium.
Today, Sacred Heart is mostly staffed by dedicated lay teachers. We are committed to providing quality Catholic education for the young men and women of Westchester and the Bronx. Sacred Heart High School is accredited by the Middle States Association. Catholic schools in the Archdiocese of New York base not only their educational purposes, but all their activities, on the Christian teaching of the essential equality of all people rooted in the fatherhood of God made present in the world by Christ’s love which abides in the Holy Spirit. Thus, with discrimination so repugnant to their nature and mission, Catholic schools in the Archdiocese have not and will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, national and ethnic origin in administration of educational policies, admission policies, scholarship programs, and athletic and other school administered programs.
Click here and here for more pictures from around our neighborhood.